lundi, janvier 01, 2007

New Year's Resolution

I had passed over those commercials on TV again and again in the past but today I didn't flip the channel. I watched for 30 minutes, images of hungry children around the world. How is it possible that children as young as 18 months old, YES 18 months old are alone, on the streets, scavenging garbage piles for food.

The man was asking for $8.00 a month to feed a child. You get a picture with a scheduled status report on a child you help 'save'.

Maybe I am this way because I had my first child, Adanna last month. Watching those kids on TV just made me grateful that she is not likely to be left on the streets alone, competing with vultures for survival.

$8.00 a month.

I have decided that I will stop being oblivious. What good is compassion without action. If $8.00 is worth a life to someone else, shame on me for not giving the ultimate gift. What good am I if I am not of use to someone else?

After Adanna, this life is no longer about me. I am back to believing that my life is not worth anything if it has not served anyone.

My new year resolution? To give the gift of life, for life.